It has been a great experience in reading and collecting these facts. Hope you enjoy too.
1. In the aftermath of World War II, Japanese biologist Shinya Inoue used a tin can and a discarded machine gun to build the first polarised light microscope
2. Europe’s red-barbed ants form colonies that are either entirely male or female. Believe it or not, the two sexes can never live together!
3. Half of the oxygen in the atmosphere comes from microscopic life in the world’s ocean
4. A statue of Vladimir Lenin stands at the South Pole of Inaccessibility, the point on Antarctica that is furthest from the ocean
5. Policemen in Tijuana equipped themselves with slingshots in January 2007 after the Mexican government took away their guns
6. Austria has a series of postage stamps that contains real meteorite dust. The stamps issued in 2006 had the dust collected from a 19 kg meteorite found in Morocco
7. Red-billed Quelea (Quelea quelea) from south of the Sahara in Africa is one of the most common wild bird in the world. These birds are so prolific that they are serious pests and millions are killed at roost sites every year in a vain attempt to control their numbers
8. British sailors used to be called “Limeys” because they ate citrus to prevent scurvy on long sea voyages
9. Zorro is the most filmed cartoon character and featured in 69 films. Created by Johnston McCully, he was the first comic strip character to be the subject shown in a major film, The Mark of Zorro (USA 1920).
10. Widow is the only female form in the English language that is shorter than its corresponding male term (widower)